Saturday, September 26, 2009

Commitment

I was going through some old pictures and noticed that my husband was wearing his wedding band on the wrong hand and found another where he wasn't even wearing it at all. When I tried to recall when those pictures were taken, I knew that I wasn't there with him. Initially, I was enraged, but more than anything I felt foolish. How could I have been so blind?


I texted him that night, questioning how often he had slipped off the ring that symbolized our commitment to one another and I let him know how asinine I felt. But the next day, as I was getting ready for work, I no longer had the need to know. What did it matter anymore? The ring was just that...a ring. I realized that the commitment lies within the person and he is not and was not committed to the covenant that was our marriage. Whether he had ever been, doesn't really matter anymore either. What matters is now. And right now, I'm learning that I can only control such a small piece of my life. The rest, I just have to trust to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment